When it comes to training a dog, your approach to dog training leaves a major impact on the training results. If you have the right mindset about dog training, then you will not only be able to have a well-mannered dog but also do well to follow the useful tips and tricks of dog training. Following are a few most important dog training tips and tricks that you can use to mould a dog into a helpful addition to your family.
- In wild, dogs live in packs and look to their pack leader for guidance. Hence, you need to play a role as a pack leader to gain control over the behavior of your dog. Generally, pack leaders control the food supply; therefore, feeding your dog only after you have eaten is a good and easy way to establish leadership. In addition, it is better to set a feeding schedule and abide by it.
- Naturally, dogs react best to rewards and positive reinforcement. Therefore, always reward good behavior with praises and treats, and simply ignore unwanted behavior. This practice will not only strengthen your bond with your dog but also will encourage your pet to repeat good behaviors and keep him away from bad and unwanted behaviors. Remember never use punishment in dog training because this will only estrange him.
- When training your dog, you need to set realistic goals, or else, your efforts will be of no use. For instance, expecting your pet dog to obey the ‘sit’ command in two or three days is okay, however, do not expect him to jump through hoops within the same period.
- Also, you need to learn proper timing of using different commands. If you see the dog is sniffing and circling around, you must immediately give a firm ‘NO’ and then guide him to the selected abolition area. Delaying in this will not make him understand that he should not make a mess inside the house. Similarly, you must praise your pet dog or give him a treat instantly when he shows a good behavior so that he can understand that he has just done something good.
- Do not be angry, yell and/or show impatience even when your dog makes mistakes. Always stay calm and give your pet enough time to learn each command. Moreover, always use the same words and hand signals when you give these commands. The main keys to successful dog training are consistency and patience.