Posts Tagged Horse as Pet
Horses are beautiful, wonderful, and noble animals that everybody loves to pet. Petting a horse can be a powerful emotional experience. Following are some useful tips that you can use to pet a horse in such a way that it will accept and get pleasure from your affections.
- Having a horse as a pet can be a delightful experience for you as well as the equine receiving your attention. However, it is important to have an adequate knowledge on how to do it properly. First of all, you should never pat its face. Just like all of us, horses also do not like a stranger coming up and start patting their faces. When you come near the horse, reach your hand out, palm flat and up, and let the horse to sniff your palm.
- The moment the horse reaches out his nose to your palm, speak gently to him and extend the same hand to the base of his neck, down where the neck congregates the withers. You can even pat the horse there in a friendly manner.
- Petting a horse is more similar to patting. Except in winter, horses usually do not have much hair; therefore, you need not to pat it just like you would a cat or a dog. However, you can pat it softly but firmly in the area stated above, and then swiftly switch into scratching.
- Horses feel great when they are being scratched in all their itchy places they cannot reach. Therefore, switch from your mild pats into a firm and premeditated scratching of his back, behind his withers, and along his neck. He will be so much pleased that he will often show you by stretching his body so that you can reach the best areas.
- Keep in mind that you must not pat a horse in sensitive areas like his flanks, rear end, legs, face, or ears. Always pat it on neck, back, withers, and the hips.
By following the above mentioned tips, you will be able to win the horse’s trust, as petting and scratching a horse is one of the best ways to win his trust. All you need is to behave gently and softly.